I recently read in Karen MacNeil’s “Wine Bible” about a plan for expanding your knowledge of wine. She spoke of a systematic plan, sampling different wines over a six month time frame. This was exactly what I was looking for. With a little research and some consultation with Sue, the plan was hatched!
Over the next six months, Sue and I will partake in a voyage of varietal discovery. The first three months focuses purely on white wines. The following three months are devoted to reds. Throughout each trimester we will explore four varieties and three different regions for each.
Month 1-3: The Whites
- Sauvignon Blanc (US, New Zealand, France) – VV1, VV2, VV3
- Chenin Blanc (US, France, South Africa) – VV4, VV5, VV6
- Chardonnay (US, France, Australia) – VV7, VV8, VV9
- Viognier (US, France, Australia) – VV10, VV11, VV12
Month 4-6: The Reds
- Cabernet Sauvignon (US, France, South America) – VV13, VV14, VV15
- Merlot (US, France, South America) – VV16, VV17, VV18
- Syrah/Shiraz (US, Australia, France) – VV19, VV20, VV21
- Petite Sirah (US, France, Australia)
So that’s the grand plan – twenty-four wines over the next six months. Stay tuned. This blog will be the travelogue of our adventure!